Blakestown is currently on their second green flag and aiming to receive their third flag this year. Green flag no 1. raised by John Gormley for – Litter and waste. Green flag no 2. raised by Brian Lenihan for – Energy. Green flag no 3. currently being worked on for – Water. Each flag has been awarded because of initiatives set by students in O’Kelly class who are part of Green Committee also Newgrange class who organised WEEE recycling and operation spring clean which takes place every year.
Litter and Waste involved the following
– Feed the Birds ‘ Breakfast Club
– Paper recycling in each class
– Shredder for confidential recycling
– Re using single sided paper
– Battery recycling
– Recycling bins in school yard
Energy involved the following
– Watt watchers
– WEEE project / recycling
– Phone recycling
– Draught excluders
– Sustainable energy Ireland science experiments
– Herb garden
– Switched to Airtricity
– CFL Bulbs.
Transport Theme FEB 6TH 2014
WE ARE CURRENTLY WORKING ON “TRANSPORT” AS OUR GREEN SCHOOLS THEME.
THIS THEME FOCUSES ON THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN SUSTAINABLE AND UNSUSTINABLE MODES OF TRANSPORT.
WE HAVE BEEN VERY BUSY EXPLORING VARIOUS TYPES OF TRAMSPORT. OUR AIM FOR THIS THEME IS TO RAISE AWARENESS ON THE ISSUE OF USING SUSTAINABLE MODES OF TRANSPORT.
THE FOLLOWING ACTIONS HAVE TAKEN PLACE:
1. SURVEYS: EXPLORING HOW STUDENTS AND TEACHERS TRAVEL TO SCHOOL.
2. POWERPOINT PRESENTATION: DETAILING VARIOUS TYPES OF TRANSPORT.
3. FUNKY FEET DAY: OUR ACTION DAY.
4. W.O.W.: WALK ON WEDNESDAYS
5. M.O.M.: MOVE ON MONDAYS
6. WRITTEN A SONG ABOUT SUSTAINABLE TRANSPORT.
7. TRAVEL SYMPOSIUM: WE ATTENDED AN INTERSCHOOL EVENT ON THE ISSUE OF TRANSPORT.
8. ECO QUIZ : QUIZ FOR FIRST YEARS ON THE GREEN SCHOOLS THEME.
9. T-SHIRTS: DESIGNED AND PRINTED T-SHIRTS TO RAISE AWARENESS.
10. WALK: PRACTICE WHAT WE PREACH!!
OUR INSPECTION FROM AN TAISCE TAKES PLACE ON FRIDAY 7TH FEB 2014